An Auction for a date with a SINGLE GOOD LOOKING SURFER. How much would you offer? $1000...more???
With the highest bidder enjoying a paid dinner, a tandem bicycle ride, a free haircut and predinner drinks on date night. The deal gets sweeter....
The money raised goes to SurfAid, a not for profit humanitarian organization with the aim to improve the health, well being and self reliance of people living the Mentawai and Nias islands of Indonesia and Sumatra.
Saltmotion in Manly organized this FUN fundraising night with 6 of Sydney's hottest surfers donating themselves for the Auction.
A whole lot of fun for a serious cause. A whopping $6405aud was raised in one night!!!!
That is more than $1000 per auction 'item' on average!!
In terms of saving lives this amount will be spent on '492 mosquito nets which will provide protective 'insecticide halo's' around villages which will assist to disrupt the parasite cycle of infection and reinfection' says saltmotion. See fun pics of the night here.
I hear you asking to tell you more about SurfAid.
In 1999 Physician and surfer Dr Dave Jenkins went to the Mentawai Islands to find the perfect wave. The surf proved to be everything he hoped for BUT he was astonished by the needless suffering and preventable deaths in this region. He had to do something! Hence his involvement in establishing SurfAid in 2000.
Did you know?
- Indonesia is an archipelago consisting of 17 000 islands
- The Indonesian population is the 4th largest in the world with a total of 240 million inhabitants
- With approx 19 million people trying to survive on less than $1US a day and 120 million people surviving on less than $2US a day
- The poorest areas of Indonesia are the remote islands where people cannot access basic public services (education, healthcare, work )
- In the Mentawai Islands this results in unecessary deaths. Especially among pregnant women and children under 5. With unacceptably high levels of malnutrition, diarrhea, malaria, acute respiratory infections and inadequate maternal health care.
Rather than just giving the hardware to provide a short term solution SurfAid tackle these problems from a community development philosophy. Providing education and ensuring communities and local governments commit to improving their situations together in a hands on approach. They believe 'Huge possibility lies within each and every one of us, no matter how isolated our community might be, or how little formal education we might have received'.
SurfAid cover a range of Programs including: (They have some great videos of their work for each program)
- Community based Health
- Water + Sanitation
- Emergency preparedness
- Emergency Response
Here is a great example of two complementary organizations coming together to DO GOOD! Surf Aid and Saltmotion for the benefit of many.
What are you passionate enough about to fundraise for?
This blogpost is about GOOD people doing GOOD things
SHOP by GoodieDo's DO GOOD criteria Australia
SHOP by GoodieDo's DO GOOD criteria Hong Kong